Frequently Asked Questions

What if my student is tardy?

Students must be in their first period class by 8:20 or they are considered tardy. Tardy students must check in at the front desk and be issued an admit slip.

What if my student wants to ride the bus home with a friend?

A note is required from both students' parents. Those notes must be turned in to the office by 8:20 a.m. so they may be approved by the front office.

How do I check my student out from school?

 A government-issued ID must be presented before the student is called to the office.  Students will not be called out of class until the parent (or person picking up the student) arrives in the office and their ID is verified.

How do I access my parent PowerSchool account?

Contact Renee Hughes via email at [email protected] with PowerSchool as the subject. If the contact information matches with what is in PowerSchool, she will email the instructions to you. You may also stop by the CMS office to request this information.

How do I update my student's address, phone numbers, parent email,  and emergency contacts?

Change of address requires a new proof of residency to be presented to the school office. Accepted forms of proof of address are a utility bill such as electric, water,  mortgage, or lease agreement. All other updates may be changed by sending a note to the school or stopping by the school office and making the updates. 

What is the CMS dress code?

CMS follows the Blount County Schools' dress policy linked here: BCS Dress Code

If a student is not following the dress code, he/she may be given a minor offense log entry and may be asked to call home for a change of clothes.